The goal of the Office of Space Management is to:
- Effectively distribute space to meet instructional, research, and administrative support space needs
- Assure that space is being utilized as efficiently as possible to meet not only individual unit needs, but overall University needs
- Provide high quality administrative, instructional, and research facilities that meet the University’s missions and goals
Space is a University resource that must be allocated efficiently and effectively to continue to meet University priorities within new budget and resource constraints. Space at George Mason University is not “owned” by any unit, and space may be reassigned as needed from one unit/department to another by the University to meet priority growth needs.
The role of the Office of Space Management is to facilitate the space request and allocation process; to maintain an accurate space inventory for internal and external reporting purposes; and to provide analysis and information to University administrators responsible for planning and implementing projects that support the instructional, research, and administrative support space needs of the University.
Space Database and Floor Plans
Floor plans are updated to reflect changes due to renovation projects, and buildings are added to the space database as new construction is completed. The space database also includes space data (building, room number, square feet, department occupancy, room use, etc.) for all assignable square feet (ASF) within each building. Updates to space data are coordinated with departmental and unit space liaisons as occupant assignment or room use changes. Space Management coordinates with the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness to submit the bi-annual space inventory and classroom/class lab utilization report to the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV). Therefore, maintaining an accurate inventory of space on and off-campus is essential for both reporting and planning purposes.
Space Needs Analysis by Campus
- Space Needs Analysis for Arlington Campus - March 2007
- Space Needs Analysis for Fairfax Campus - June 2009
- Space Needs Analysis for Prince William Campus - April 2009
- Classroom and Teaching Lab Utilization Analysis -November 2006
Office of Space Management
Tel: (703) 993-2468
FAX: (703) 993-2524
Space Database/Web Manager
Information Technology Services
Tel: (703) 993-3828
FAX: (703) 993-2524