Space Request and Allocation Process
George Mason University has numerous demands for spaces to meet instructional, research, and administrative needs. The Office of Space Management will assess requests for space using University Space Guidelines (based upon SCHEV and BCOM standards and guidelines) and will provide options to end users to assist them in meeting their space needs. To assure that space is distributed effectively, requests must be submitted via the appropriate space request form, and must have support and approval of University Administrators to assure that overall goals and objectives of the University are met. Student enrollment projections, faculty/staff projections, sponsored research activities, and new priorities identified by the University all influence space assignments, and play an important role in the space allocation process.
New Space Request/Significant Reassignment of Currently Assigned Space
All requests for new space, or for significant reassignment/reallocation of currently assigned spaces, must be submitted on the appropriate Request Form to the Office of Space Management. Each space request form includes instructions for completing the form, the information end users must supply with each request, and the Administrators that are responsible for reviewing and approving requests. Space requests will be reviewed by the University’s Space Administration Committee, and the chairs of that committee (Provost and Senior Vice President) have final approval authority for all space assignments. The Office of Space Management will notify the Office of Budget and Planning of any space request that has a significant budget impact prior to submitting it to SAC for review.
There are three committees that contribute to the approval process for new space requests as outlined below:
- The Classroom Advisory Committee (CAC) must review and provide recommendation for any new space request involving instructional spaces (or removal of current instructional space for alternate use).
- The Student Services & Spaces Advisory Committee (SSSAC) must review and provide recommendation for any new space request involving spaces in Auxiliary buildings such as student unions housing facilities, or retail spaces.
- The Space Administration Committee (SAC) reviews all requests for new space assignments, or reassignment of space for alternate use, and provides approval for request to verify if they align with strategic goals and initiatives. The CAC and SSSAC make recommendations to SAC as part of this space review/approval process.
New space requests submitted to the Office of Space Management are intended to meet short term or incremental growth space needs for each unit. Requests for significant new space assignments are handled via the Capital Outlay Process and are coordinated through the Campus Planning Division. The Assistant Vice President of Campus Planning & Design and the staff in the Campus Planning division work with University Administrators, Academic/Research units, Administrative Support units, and Auxiliary units to coordinate master plans and capital project submissions to meet expected growth needs.
Internal Space Reallocation
Departments and Units have the authority to reassign spaces already assigned to the department/unit without prior approval of the Space Administration Committee so long as the assignments are consistent with University Space Guidelines/Standards and do not:
- Impact instructional space
- Impact space assigned to another department/unit
- Violate any policies, practices, or procedures established by the University
- Require resources beyond the department’s or unit’s control
- Interfere with any existing space use agreements or contractual relationships
- Change the original permitted use of the space (i.e. converting an storage room into an office.)
Departments and Units are responsible for notifying the Office of Space Management when space is reassigned within the department/unit so that updates to space data can be made in the space database.
For internal space reallocations that require renovations to existing space, departments or units must submit a Project Request Form. The department/unit incurs all costs associated with renovations to assigned spaces. The Office of Campus Planning/Space Management will review requested renovations to assure compliance with University Space Guidelines/Standards.