> Mission Statement
The mission of the sustainability office is to use the strengths of George Mason University - innovation, responsiveness,
flexibility, and community strength - to provide leadership in environmental, social, and economic stewardship on our
campuses and throughout the local and global communities of which we are a part.
The responsibilities of the Sustainability Office include:
- Provide a strategic direction for the evolution of sustainability on Mason's campuses.
- Provide policy recommendations to the administration that improve our operational efficiency and contribute to our
long-term economic and environmental sustainability.
- Assist in the creation of processes and standards across campus that promote the sustainability of Mason.
Collaborate with faculty, staff, and students to create a central hub for communicating sustainability initiatives.
- Coordinate the activities of the Sustainability Council and Executive Steering Committee.
- Participate in the coordination of campus-wide awareness and engagement campaigns, such as Earth Week,
Green Rush, Fall for the Book, and others.
- Work with the Provost's Office to encourage the integration of sustainability principles into curricula across
- Interface with local, regional, and national organizations and working groups that can further the sustainability
interests of George Mason University.
- Create a climate action plan that will lead Mason to climate neutrality as per the American College and
University Presidents Climate Commitment.
Want to get involved in helping us get from here to there? Plug in to the Sustainability Council and its Working Groups.
For more information on the Environmental Task Force,
please visit their website at